Monday, February 20, 2006

minus the relationships

So, I decided to try this whole blog thing....mainly because shelly-bean (aka Buttercup) does it ALL the time..she's like "blog queen" if you know what i mean, and due to the fact that she's basically glued to the thing 24/7 I'm thinkin there must be somethin good about it..so i figured hey...give it a try right?


Someone recently (as in a few days ago) asked me to describe myself...or wait...tell them about my life...and surprisingly I found I had very little to say...how very sad is that?? Until two days ago, I never really thought of myself as a boring person...but perhaps, just maybe I have turned into this awful, horrible, thing they call.....an "adult". I'm really seriously wondering if its possible that talking about my life is about as interesting as watching paint dry. Little miss life of the party turns out to be a complete bore. So now i'm reevaluating. Where the hell along the way did I forget who I was? And, to make matters worse....I found myself describing the last 5 or 6 years of my life in terms of the "relationships" I've been in. What was I thinking? Do I really define my self-worth and being by which immature shallow male I happened to be attached to at the time? How insecure could I be?? So, needless to say, I've gained a new interest in defining my life not simply by the "relationships gone bad".
Minus the relationships then...I'm gonna try this again....
So....I am 22 and that sounds really OLD!! I'm currently in grad school studying to be an OT!! I spent my four years in undergrad trying to "discover" exactly who I wanted to be and what I wanted to do with my life. I am still changing and growing each day but the things I do know about myself are these.....I love people..point blank. I like the challenge there is in getting to know, and appreciate the people that others don't take the time to notice. I like the idea of learning new things each day for the rest of my life....life lessons from those whose experience is far different than mine. I like to celebrate the small victories, to be reminded that I should be thankful for the things I take for granted everyday. I like a challenge...I love that feeling you get when you're terrified to try something, but you do it anyway, and really like the idea of sacrifice, of giving a part of yourself, not for your own gain, but simply because you care about someone else, whether they are deserving or not.
I like to work hard and then play hard. I want people to know they can count on me to be there when it matters. I love my family and I'm so thankful that they've taught me what is truly important in life....that it really isn't what you get, but what you give that makes all the difference.
I drink coffee like my grandpa...black...every morning. I've got a little country in me..just enough to know i'd rather be fishin than most things I can think of. I like the way the sun feels on your skin in the afternoon when you've been out all day waitin for the big one to bite. I like to sit down by the lake and tell my thoughts to the wind. I'm not above havin a good cry every now and then....sometimes you just need to get it all out. Summer is my favorite season...i'd rather be barefoot than to wear shoes any day. I love music...it reminds me what it feels like to be alive....there's a song for any occasion, any mood, any time in life. The message of music is universal, its not a language, or specific to a culture, its a universal message of feeling, of hope...and I can't imagine my life without it.
I'm as nice as the next girl but when it comes to something that really matters to me I'm as stubborn as they come. I like someone who will stand up to me, but knows enough to back off when I'm havin a rough day. I worry entirely too much about things that really don't matter...but in the end...I get things done. I'm not one of those people that has the rest of my life planned out. I've never imagined where I would live, or who with for that matter. I've never dreamed about my wedding or even pictured it in my mind. I couldn't tell you where i'll be in ten years...cause right now I don't want to know. I like to take things as they come....I like to see what life is going to throw at me next and deal with it right then and there. I've done absolutely nothing to deserve the wonderful life that I have and I try to remind myself of that often. I'm about as lucky as a girl can be and I have some supergreat friends.
Maybe I'm not so boring...I don't know u tell me.....and I guess maybe there's more to me than the past....right now..i'm pretty excited about the future..whatever its going to be..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not boring. I find that your description of yourself was quite on target from the Brooke I know. Glad you figured out that you are more than past relationships. You are Brooke and that's why I love ya, bc you are YOU.:) Good job on your first blog and welcome to the world of addiction to blogging!

Shelly said...

what an entrance to blogger world, girl. i love this. i completely agree with ET...this description of brooke is exactly what i see everyday. a girl who persues life with passion, but takes it slow enough to put a smile on the faces of everyone she meets. so glad you're my classmate, roommate...and friend. mushy, but true;)

welcome to bloggerville. i think you'll get just as addicted as me!